![]() |
|
|
Insert Cbox code here
June 2003
July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 December 2007 January 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 December 2008 February 2009 April 2009 July 2009 October 2009 December 2009 February 2010 May 2010 June 2010 January 2011 March 2011 June 2011 August 2011 January 2012 May 2012 June 2012 August 2012 October 2012 November 2012 Bituwin -
template Words from Before It's Too Late by Goo Goo Dolls. Hit counter code here
|
Friday, December 02, 2005
Cambodia
Why is it that when you have finally been presented with the opportunity to fulfill one of your dreams, you end up finding all sorts of excuses to not fulfill it?
Alright, maybe you don’t, but I do. The things that I have done throughout my life, has been to lead up to this moment; to work in the mission field. Amongst the underprivileged, the lost, the sick, the broken, people whom sometimes, the world may forget. Undergoing difficulties, facing rejection and failure throughout my whole educational ‘career’, I have come to the point where, I am now equip with the knowledge and practical skills to at least diagnose simple aliments, at least that’s what my examination results and school say. But I, as an individual, still feel utterly inadequate. Like my sister once said, ‘I don’t even trust myself with my own life’. This coming from a soon-to-be pediatric consultant. What would that say about me? I’m just a 3rd year medical student, and I’m not even the brightest of the lot. Many times, I wonder how I got to where I am now. Undoubtedly, God was there every step of the way. I remember the day I took the exam that was going to change the rest of my life; The Graduate Medical School Admissions Test. I remember sitting in my car, doing my last minute pleading with God for grace and mercy to help me through the 9 hour exam that I was going to soon sit, when I glanced up and saw through my windscreen all the other candidates walking past, to the exam hall. I thought to myself, “Lord, who I am to pass this exam? All the students walking past me now, and the others taking the exam…they must have done so much preparation for this. They are most probably so much smarter and disciplined then me! Who am I to think that I can pass this exam…and even wishful thinking…to be a doctor!? How can I?” I cried. And He spoke. “Sure Gwen, they are definitely more deserving then you to pass the exam and go on to become doctors. But the difference between them and you is that I have set you apart. I have called you to my purpose.” I cried even more. How could I have even doubted my God? He who gives me the desires of my heart. He who supplies my every need? It has taken me awhile to get here, and now, I have been given the opportunity to go start on what God has purposed me to do, to reach out to the broken and sick. 10th of December is when I leave for Cambodia for a week on a medical mission trip. It’s amazing how many excuses I came up with to not go, despite the fact my heart telling me that I am meant to, and I have to. My inadequacies and insecurities. “I have been practicing 1st world medicine, how can I help those living in 3rd world conditions?” “Am I going to enjoy myself?” “Am I going to make friends?” “There is birdflu, dengue fever, malaria etc…” “There are times where there are no proper toilets! (which is a MAJOR CONCERN for me)…” “Will I survive? (stupid question of course)” “I’m scared.” I know I needed godly counsel, and have since learnt and been reminded that… 1)God will supply ALL my needs 2)He is my protector 3)Focus on what the whole trip is about, mission work. Its not about me, it’s not about me making friends, but rather, to serve God and His people. 4)It’s time to come out of my comfort zone, and not procrastinate anymore! Yes, so please pray for His covering over me and continued work in my life. Thank you and God bless! |