<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/5482607?origin\x3dhttp://geedoc.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Photobucket


Insert Cbox code here



Bituwin - template
Dementee - image

Words from Before It's Too Late by Goo Goo Dolls.

Hit counter code here

Thursday, June 10, 2004
Its all in a Sentence

I am currently trying to improve myself (and my vocabulary), a never ending pursuit I might add. In my pursuit, I have found myself in the company of a book. Its been awhile since I read some decent pages. The last one, was 'Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix'. It was a pretty good read. Felt like a child again for a little moment.

'Tiger's Eye; A Memoir' by Inga Clendinnen is right by my table as I write this. I love the way she writes about her experiences as she is treated for her liver disease in the hospital. You could say, she uses very 'flowery' language, to try to get the message across. There are moments, when I find myself having to reread her sentences. It can be quite hard to understand at times, but I get there.

The following is a sentence reproduced from her finely written novel. Would this count as plagiarism? Hope not.

"The apes, gloomily masturbating, puzzling as to how their descendents could have turned out so badly."

Never knew you could use the word 'masturbating' in a sentence that wouldn't elicit horrified gasps. Okay, so sue me for being a convent girl.

It does put a little spin to the process of evolution don't you think?